For years I have been trying to grow a garden here in Southern Utah and for years I have called it my "obedience" garden because the blessings I have received by growing a garden here hasn't been in the form of vegetables, until this year. I have tried to grow corn, green beans, squash, pumpkins, tomatoes, Armenian cucumbers, and onions, all of which burn up in the sweltering summer heat. Last year I managed to get a bumper crop of cucumbers and made A LOT of bread and butter pickles, but nothing else. Corn and beans seam to be my most difficult vegetable to grow here, and I'm told it is because it is too hot for these produce items. I am glad to report that this year I DID IT! I grew, and harvested corn and a few green beans! (See pictures below) I must say, however, that I only have gotten about 15 green beans because my chickens have found them and are eating the leaves/beans. The fact is though, that I produced some and that is something that I haven't been able to do before. Today for lunch we are going to have corn on the cob, and for dinner, and for lunch tomorrow, etc. There isn't enough to pull out the canning supplies and freeze the corn so I will have to order some for freezing when it is in season up north. But for today it feels good to finally consume what I grew. Yeah!!
 |
Here is the corn, the left side is as tall as I am, the beans are growing
in between the corn rows, a tip I got from a Hurricane local to
help shade them from the sun. |
 |
We also grow large sunflowers in the garden to keep the
bugs down. There are a bunch of bee's feasting on the nectar in
this one. |
 |
I never thought I would see the day I would have a sink full
of home grown corn. :) |
 |
| Dalyon enjoying the corn. It tastes really sweet! yum! |
 |
Here they are! All the beans I have been able to harvest so far (thanks
to the chickens). At least now I know I can grow beans here. |
 |
| Austin got this shirt last year, the back of it sums it all up. |
 |
I guess I can be an FFA girl now. (Some of the girls at school
didn't think this was so funny, but he did). |
My next hurdle is producing tomatoes. Wish me luck!!
No comments:
Post a Comment