sunflower barnwood

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Senior Prom

This is Austins senior year and he and quite a few of his friends got together and decided to go to prom.  Thirteen of his friends in fact, which made the group a large group, 26!  He tried to downsize or split it up but who would you cut out?  No one!  So they all went together and had a really great time.  The boys wanted to plan everything on their own, and I stepped back and listened while they did their planning.  There were ideas of going out into the desert for dinner, or having dinner up on the water tower in Hurricane, but I couldn't help myself and stepped in in defense of the girls and their beautiful dresses.  I asked the boys at their  "Prom meeting" one night if they would mind if us Mom's got involved and there was a unanimous YES!!  (I was so happy because I love to do these things with the other moms!)  I took down the names and numbers of those parents that I did not know and got right to work.  They decided to have it at Grandma Swyers place in one of her yards, and that they would have the meat and potatoes catered by Sanford Saline, so that took alot of the pressure off of us.  We just needed to do the desert and a nice salad, as well as the decorations to set the mood.  Lori Swyers and I borrowed the dinnerware and tablecloths from my neighbor Annette Ferrin, and we pieced it all together.  I think it turned out beautifully!! 

 But before I get ahead of myself,  their "day date" began at 8 in the morning with them gathering at our house and going out to a place south of town called the Fort Pierce Wash, where they hiked up the wash into a canyon where there is a pool of water and sand.  They ate their lunches there and played around.  I'm told that everyone had a good time and laughed together.  There were no bad feelings between anyone that was reported and for a group that size that is great! 

Here they are ready for the hike.  There is Austin Beutler and Holly Holmes, Austin Swyers and Madison Ferrish, Austin Wilcox and Kendyl Baker,  Darringer Scow and Abby Londrie, Stetson Nelson and Charly Billings, Kris Wilson and Kimber Hawkins, Jon Jones and Cassidy Ekins, Andy Ashcroft and Amelia Schaffer, Tanner Jones and Jenna Post,  Clint Gubler and Bailey Hirschi,  Jake Nielson and KC Gubler (not shown because they had other engagements), Ephriam Tate and Guilia Staples, and Dylan Stratton and Holly Tammietti.

Waiting. .. .  and waiting. . . . and. . .
 They got back from the hikes about 2 in the afternoon and the boys chilled in Darringers pool while the girls got ready.  They all met at the Swyers home for pictures at 6 that night.  Clint Gubler did an amazing job with the picture backdrop.  He brought over his dads' covered wagon, and placed some fences, old milk cans and guns around it.  During their pictures the kids held the guns.  With that many couples to photograph it took almost two hours!!  They were all great sports, and I'm sure they will look fabulous!  Here is a few that I grabbed in between running around. 

Here is our handsome guy!  He is on his way to pick up Holly.  I had some trouble with the corsage earlier, the one I had ordered with yellow roses and black tips looked awful, the black paint had ran down the flower and looked bad.  I had another florist make me another one, but it didn't turn out much better in my opinion, so I apologized to Holly all night long.  You win some, and you lose some.  funny!

Here is the covered wagon and fences.  Kirt and Liz Wilson (Kris's mom and dad) are
the photographers.  The set up turned out great!!!

Here are the others waiting patiently for their turn.  Everyone looks so good!!
Darringers date wore a dress that was the Confederate flag, so Darringers Mom made him a vest to
match.  Abbie also went out of her way to make him a boutonniere, which was made from bullets.  He was
the hit of the night for sure!!
This is Ephriam, Giulia (back), Charley and Stetson (Front) at dinner.
Austin and Holly (back), Kris and Kimber (right side), Austin W. and Kendyl (left side). 
Austin S. and Madison (front) and Jon and Cassidy (back).
Darringer and Abby (left side)  Clint and Bailey (Right). 
This is KC and Jake (back), and Tanner and Jenna.  You can also see
the Tiki torches behind them.  It was a very pretty setting.
Dylan and Holli (back) and Andy and Amelia.
This is the view from above.  It turned out really nice.  They ate dutch oven potato's and teriaki chicken.  The moms
made an oriental salad and raspberry cheesecake.  We had Lori Swyers, Liz and Kirt Wilson, Amy Stratton, Debbie Tate, and Alene Jones helping.  We had a really great night!
After dinner the kids left for the dance.  It was a masquerade ball and they had masks, but the boys weren't excited about that so they put a "redneck" flair on things, and everyone drove a pickup truck and wore cowboy hats with the masks.  Way to personalize things! 

1 comment:

  1. Love it - the Tiki torches were a really great idea too. So glad everyone had a great time and that they didn't eat dinner in the desert! You're a GREAT mom! Have a Happy Mother's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete