sunflower barnwood

Sunday, February 27, 2011

I've Got a Love-el-ly Bunch of Coconuts. . . . . . .

Now that I have activated my blog again, I have been going through my days thinking:  "I could blog about that", or "I can blog about that." Finding the time to put it all into the computer has been another story.  Tonight, however, I think I have both, an idea and the time. 


We try to have Family Home Evening every week, and because we own a trucking company and Doug is gone on Monday nights frequently, we have the lesson/scripture/family business part on Sunday, then follow up with the activity and treats on Monday.  Tonight we were able to do both and I had the presence of mind enough to capture some of it in pictures.  I told Doug that since I'm now a "blogger"  (up from Coos Bay, Oregon for those of you who have heard the Ray Stevens "Haircut" song.  lol (look it up on YouTube and you'll get it)) I need a good camera.   He said he would put that on my Christmas list.  lol  Tonight, after a very good lesson from Doug, we had a great activity compliments of Bountiful Baskets from yesterday.  We received 2 coconuts in our basket that excited everyone.  They were anticipating the creamy milk, the sweet meat, and planned to use that as our FHE treat. Doug got out the power tools, a hand drill and a saw, (because we had never opened a coconut before) and I looked on the Bountiful Basket facebook site and learned how to open them with a knife.  After our very stimulating lesson and thought (as you can see in the pictures below), Doug took one of the coconuts and proceeded to drill two holes in it at opposite ends to drain the "milk" into a cup, Austin and Cody used Cody's homemade machete' knife to knock a crack in the shell and pour the water from their coconut into a bowl.  Both were effective ways of accomplishing the same thing, , and we found out that it is not milk inside the coconut, but flavored water.  Everyone tasted a bit with great anticipations and it tasted bitter. The kids were disappointed, but willing to taste the "meat" and see if it tasted like the stuff you put on a German chocolate cake.  Sadly, it was also a bit bitter.  I think the fun of this activity was definitely in the journey (opening the coconuts) because the end result was a disappointment.  Luckily I was able to save the treat by melting chocolate chips and letting them dip pieces of the coconut into it, as well as the strawberries I got yesterday.  That seemed to soothe the disappointments.                                                    

<> 
I know Austin in listening. . . . at least I think I know he is listening. 


Cody is trying out his machete' knife on the coconut, before Doug takes the drill to it.  (He made it himself. . .eek!)

Austin giving it a whack.  It took a couple of tries.

Cracked that baby!!  Water is clear though, not milky. . . hmmmm.

Cami pretending to be Kung Fu Panda imitating Master Shifu, Mady imitating Po with facial nerve paralysis.  lol

Dalyon just needs a hula skirt.  ALOOOOOOHA!!

There is nothing like experiencing something new together. 



No comments:

Post a Comment