sunflower barnwood

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Their stories in pictures.

The past few months I have had the desire to scan into the computer the old photos that my Mom and Dad have from my childhood, and theirs, and anything else they have.  Doug started the "bug" when he purchased a little scanner and spent all of Thanksgiving last year scanning in his parents' old photos and copying them all for all of his siblings.  So, in a effort to do something cool for my brother and his wife for Christmas, I took on the task and made my family a disk with all of the pictures on it.  For several nights I sat with my Mom and Dad and had them identify who was in the picture as I scanned them in, then labeled them.  I learned a lot about my family, my parents' perspective of their lives and my own, and got to know my distant relative through pictures.  I love the old black and white pictures of a time when things seemed simpler, harder physically, but simpler mentally.  The ones that stand out to me right now are the ones of my Dads Mothers side, the Stone family.  I know a lot about the other families in my lineage, but not as much about them.  I'll share some of my favorites here.


Grandpa Joe Stone haying.  I love the horse drawn hay wagon
and pitching the hay up.  This was up in Mapleton, Idaho.
Grandpa Joe Stone.  He could play the harmonica like no other.
 I also loved seeing my parents in their courting years, hearing their story again and actually seeing it in pictures.  I have a great Mom and Dad.    Dad had a hot car and was dragging main in Preston when he came up on two hot chicks in another car.  My mom and her friend Carma (Doug's aunt, FYI) were 16 and in Grandpa Shepherds car.  As the story goes, the girls chased my dad down and flirted with him.  He ended up calling on my mom and our history began.  Dad worked for Grandpa Winn at the auction, and had hauled cattle for my Moms Dad many times, he just didn't know he had a daughter.  They were married August 19, before Moms Sr. year when she was 17 and lived with Grandma and Grandpa Winn until they could get a place of their own.  There is so much to write of their story, but pictures are worth more so here are a few. 


Dad and his hot car.  I'll have to find out what kind it was.  lol

West Side High School Jr. Prom 1966
This one is one of my favorites.
  Dad buying the engagement/wedding ring. 
Married August 19, 1966 
Here is our family about 1976.  Final score:  1 boy 2 girls

Today:  3 kids, 12 grand kids, 1 great grand kid. . . .to be continued.  . . . .
I hope to share more photos as I continue with this project.  This summer I would like to visit with my Aunt Irene  and scan some of her photos of the Stones and the Winn side with the ranch/farm/cows.  Those are also going to be priceless.

1 comment: