Cody never ceases to amaze me. He is moving through his life so quickly and I feel like he is missing out on being a kid. Case in point, he is only 13 years old and already ready to become an Eagle Scout. He became a Life Scout only nine months after turning 12, and has had a goal to get his Eagle Scout award by the time he turns 14. When he makes up his mind to do something he always achieves it whatever the cost. He has been self motivated his whole life and I have to constantly remind myself that that he isn't an adult yet, and that he is only 13. I remember when he was in the first grade in Mrs. Clydes class (six years old) we had parent teacher conferences after school one day. When the time came for he and I to go, I had to go out to the shop where he was helping his dad disassemble an old Ford Bronco. Cody had just dropped the oil pan and was draining the oil when it was time for us to go. He refused to clean the oil off himself and I had to pick him up and put him in the car on a plastic bag and wipe what oil I could off him before we went to his conference. When we got there, Mrs. Clyde got a good laugh and asked him what he had been doing. He explained everything about the engine he was working on and what they were going to part out and what parts they were going to keep as well as answering Mrs. Clydes questions about how the engine works. I am always amazed at what Cody can do and what he comes up with. Getting his Eagle Scout award before he turns 14 is just another example of him wanting to grow up fast.
He chose to make benches for the Hurricane Community Gardens for his Eagle project. He made four benches. The Gardens supplied him with all of the materials, so the project was just about cutting wood, and assembling the benches. We took a lot of pictures so I'll let them tell the story.
Cody cutting the wood for the benches.
The boys are sinking the screws into the 2X4's to make the bench tops.
Cutting the 4X4's for the legs.
Doug, Carsen Bjelland and James Hebdon are assembling the tops.
Tops are assembled, legs are built and attached and now they are screwing on the platforms that you will sit on.
A donut break, and the end of the evening. Cody still needed to sand and stain the benches, which he did after school a few days later. Those who helped: (L to R) Josh Hall, Wes Green, James Hebdon, Cody, Jacob Hebdon, Carson Bjelland.
Cody delivered the benches to the Gardens and Aaron Diamond oked them the night of September 29th. He and I got his project paperwork done that day with signatures. He now just needs to finish the Eagle Scout application and get it turned in. He has about six weeks until he turns 14 so he is excited. It is nice to have the project over. Way to go Cody!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment