This year Christmas day fell on a Sunday which is the perfect day to celebrate the birth of our Savior. However, it does throw a wrench in the Santa Claus traditions we are used to. Our ward decided to only hold Sacrament meeting that day and because we have nine o'clock church we had to be there early. Dalyon and I were participating in the special Christmas program Polly Stirland (the ward music chair) had arranged and we had to be there at eight thirty. I anticipated a struggle getting the kids up to open their presents on Christmas morning and get them dressed and to church by 8:30 in the morning so I suggested we wait to open Santa presents until AFTER church. At first there was some negative feedback from my suggestion, but everyone eventually felt OK about the idea, except Cody and Doug, who gave me the hardest time. I stuck to my guns and Christmas morning I got everyone up at 7:30, they got dressed and we met in the living room and each opened our name presents, (we draw names and get each other a gift so we don't have to get everyone something.) I'm proud of the kids and the good attitudes they had, and the thoughtful gifts they gave each other.
 |
We started with the youngest, because Cami just couldn't wait!
Austin had her name and he made her a steel rose. She was very
excited. |
 |
Dalyon was next and Mady had his name. He received
an eight ball and a new hot wheels car, and a book of
codes he was coveting from her. |
 |
Cami had Cody's name and she had Austin make
him a pair of spurs with leathers that had his
initials on them. He even gave her a hug for being
so thoughtful. |
 |
In accordance with Mady's zany personality I gave her a
lava lamp, which she loved. She really like the extraordinary. |
 |
Doug had Austin and got him new window handles for
his truck. He was glad because he said he didn't have to
buy them. lol |
 |
Dalyon had my name and was so thoughtful in getting me a new
hot chocolate mug. He sure knows what I like!! |
 |
Cody had Dougs name and made him a windmill tower
to go downstairs with his farm tractor collection. It fit in perfectly!
Cody welded it and painted it, and did a really good job. He also
gave him a package of Dougs favorite candy. |
We made it to church by 8:30 and had a very spiritual sacrament meeting program. The program went over twenty minutes and I could see the kids squirming in the pews, hoping to head home and open their presents. After the final "amen" of the prayer, Austin, Dalyon and Cami ran from the chapel and made it home before Doug and I even were out of the building. Cody and Mady went home with us and were pulling us a long so that we didn't talk to anyone. I had told our home teacher, Brother Stratton, that we were going to wait to open our presents and when Bishop Stirland was late starting Sacrament meeting he prodded him along by telling him "there are some who haven't opened presents yet, Lets get going!!". That made me laugh.
We all changed back into our pajama's and met in the living room before going downstairs after the program. Doug opened our present from Grandma and Grandpa Beutler and read the card. I was finished waiting to open presents and when he suggested "we go around the room and all say what we are thankful for" I groaned the loudest and headed for the stairs. Even I know when enough is enough!!!!
 |
FINALLY! We can open our presents!! Even though it was 11 in the morning. Doug's
family tradition was to get up at 3 and open presents, then Grandpa would go out and milk
the cows at 4 am. Our kids usually get up at six or seven, so it was different to wait so long. |
 |
Everyone seemed happy with their gifts and played all afternoon with the
toys and watched movies until Grandma and Grandpa Winn came by for dinner (which was
leftovers from the night before.)
Our cat Maverick had a real struggle over Christmas. He develops bladder stones occasionally and they plug him up and make him really sick. Sadly, he had one that began on Christmas Eve and by Christmas night he was really sick. We took him to Dr. Wittwer on Monday morning and he had a minor surgery to clear the stone. The poor thing was sick, in a lot of pain, and then delirious from the medications. I'm glad to report that he is doing really well now. Our own little Christmas miracle.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment